Autism Friends Network Home | Forums

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Random Opinions
Walker! Offline
Closet Qunari

RE: Random Opinions
I wrote this as a reply to a thread on Facebook, where a guy said he wouldn't date an autistic girl, because of an experience he had once. The thread was deleted, by the time I typed it, so I thought I'd share it here instead.

The relationship you were in was abusive, whether or not the person was autistic. You did the right thing getting out of it but what you took away about autism is completely wrong.

I work with autistic kids. I myself am on the spectrum. I've dated people on it.

I work with a kid, who is a fantastic guitarist and while he can be hyper and go a bit too far with his humour at times, he genuinely cares about everyone he meets.

I work with another kid, who makes nothing but noise, uses his autism as an excuse to justify some truly shitty behaviour towards adults and kids alike and responds with violent, sweary outbursts if he doesn't get his way.

I once dated a girl, who was on the spectrum once or twice. It didn't go anywhere but we did stay in touch for a while as friends. She wasn't very confident and obviously responded in an odd fashion to some things but was otherwise a great person.

There was another girl, who was controlling as fuck, threatened me with suicide if I disagreed with her and used to send topless selfies to make up for it. (I didn't ask for any nudes, I don't do nudes as a thing but I think she saw it as an insentive to stick around or something?)

Finally, there's me. I've been dating a girl for a year now. I've never laid a hand on her, never physically or emotionally hurt her and would never dream of doing so. I'm always thinking of what I can do for her and talk to her every day. We hardly ever fight/argue and I strive to be the man she deserves.

What do those people, who briefly described have in common? They're all on the spectrum. However, as someone who is on the spectrum, I can tell you that 'shitty person' is NOT a listed symptom.

As someone who knows people on the spectrum, I can tell you that yes, such people exist but people like me, guitar kid and the third person also exist. Why devoid giving her a chance, because of a few, blatantly transparent shitheads?

It reeks of silly prejudice to me. I've been robbed by two itallian men. However, I do not assume that all Itallians are thieves as that's moronic. I've been in relationships with black women, that haven't worked out but I didn't take away the notion that 'we shouldn't mix' from that and just chalked it up as a bad experience.

You might be surprised as to what different people can offer you.

"And then he is gone and Lazarus is left alone to wonder which is worse - a God that does not care to understand His creation or a God that thinks that he does." Lazarus by John Connolly.

[Image: 154?cb=20160821001221]

My website
My writings (Fallout stories)
[Image: 6_11_08_12_7_29_43.gif]
02-10-2019 11:42 AM
Send this user an email Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
142857 Offline
Who's your Daddy?

Good to see you Walker. And that is a superb response.

I might have been more blunt. I might have pointed out that people on the spectrum tend to wind up in relationships with arseholes because we lack social awareness. And that it sounds a lot like he is one of those arseholes.
02-10-2019 12:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Walker! Offline
Closet Qunari

Oh, I said that.

His original point was that autistics should only date other autistics. He based this on the fact that he had a bad experience dating an autistic girl.

I eventually put it on another thread he put his crap opinions on and he ignored everything I said and got mad for 'making excuses' for the girl. I didn't know I did but there you go.

I got exasperated, so I told him that he was right. He shouldn't date autistics or anyone for that matter and probably shouldn't breed either.

I did try, I really did. ??‍♂️

"And then he is gone and Lazarus is left alone to wonder which is worse - a God that does not care to understand His creation or a God that thinks that he does." Lazarus by John Connolly.

[Image: 154?cb=20160821001221]

My website
My writings (Fallout stories)
[Image: 6_11_08_12_7_29_43.gif]
02-10-2019 09:56 PM
Send this user an email Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)