Autism Friends Network Home | Forums

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Measles Outbreak
142857 Offline
Who's your Daddy?

RE: Measles Outbreak
My grandmother's brother died from a smallpox vaccination. This would have been about 100 years ago.

But the smallpox vaccine is just cow pox. IIRC.
02-01-2019 09:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MM Offline
elder

There is an Ebola vaccine now. https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/second-op...-1.4672807 I find it somewhat upsetting that the article states there was very little interest from pharmaceutical companies in developing manufacture of the Ebola vaccine until recently. How many people died horrifically from Ebola recently?
02-02-2019 04:46 PM
d_olson27 Offline
ןןɐqppo uɐ ɟo ʇɐɥʍǝɯos

The main reason there wasn't much interest in an Ebola vaccine had to do with the average income levels in the part of the world where it would be most heavily distributed. It's most common is Western Africa. I don't even know if the number of confirmed cases in North America reached double digits per year, even at the height of the scare several years back.

Good that there is one now, though.

[Image: FSMbkgrd1_th1_zpsd72bf4fc.jpg]
02-03-2019 04:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
d_olson27 Offline
ןןɐqppo uɐ ɟo ʇɐɥʍǝɯos

(02-01-2019 09:49 PM)142857 Wrote:  My grandmother's brother died from a smallpox vaccination. This would have been about 100 years ago.

I also know someone who was pretty severely injured by vaccines. (Why they tried again after the first time, I have no idea.)

There's always a certain amount of risk involved in any medical procedure, and that even includes taking cold medicine. Some indicators of being vulnerable to vaccines have been identified, and no one in their right mind will recommend that someone with any of those indicators be vaccinated. But it does happen from time to time, unfortunately, especially if those indicators are unknown in a given individual.

02-03-2019 04:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MM Offline
elder

Ebola has a very high death rate per infection. That makes it scary. Also SARS just a bit lower.

I heard of some people being exempted from school vaccines because they were allergic to chicken eggs. The vaccines that were produced in chicken eggs they could not have. I somehow don’t think they discovered they were allergic to chicken eggs from getting a vaccines. Likely they ingested eggs as a baby and reacted so they alos were told not to get certain vaccines.
02-05-2019 02:51 AM
d_olson27 Offline
ןןɐqppo uɐ ɟo ʇɐɥʍǝɯos

Ebola is hard to get. Basically, you have to exchange considerable amounts of bodily fluids with an infected person, and it's mostly the disgusting ones like blood, vomit, or diarrhea. The reason it spreads more easily in Western Africa is because of poor medical conditions, where people have to share hospital beds, and some of their funeral customs, like sharing a drink with the deceased. You have almost nothing to worry about.

SARS is, if I remember right, just a strain of the common cold. A lot of people do die from the common cold every year, but most of them are either very young, very old, or living in an area with very little access to medicine. Again, not a lot to worry about.

And yes, an egg allergy is one of the reasons for not vaccinating. You're correct that most people don't discover that through being vaccinated. I'm sure some do, just because that's how statistics tend to work. You have enough opportunities for a thing to happen, and the thing is likely to happen eventually, no matter how improbable each instance of it is. But that's another thing that you probably don't need to worry too much about.

02-11-2019 05:02 AM
MM Offline
elder

Most places in canada or US require vaccination for children in public schools.
02-13-2019 11:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)